Tuesday, May 19, 2009

Park-like Settings Aren't That Great

Not too long ago, I headed out on my own and visited three popular garden centers east of Cleveland: Lowe's Greenhouse (not the box-store), Breezewood and Eagle Creek. It was right before Easter, and there wasn't much going on. It's amazing what a few spring weeks will do.

Last Thursday, I hit up the same three, but this time I had a posse: Jen, Bob, Sara and Richard (editor, publisher, online editor and group editor).

Let me start off by saying that I am by no means a green thumb. Sure I work at a garden center, and sure I write for Today's Garden Center...but don't bother asking me when and how to prune your roses. What's with the disclaimer? Well, that's how I walk into a garden center...not too plant savvy. So when I peruse the greenhouse or the perennials outside, I sometimes need my hand held. And that was the biggest difference I noticed between Lowe's and Breezewood.


Lowe's had signs EVERYWHERE. There were large, simple signs by any and everything. I didn't need to reach for sales associate right away. I saw a sign and then knew where I was. There were even aisle numbers. For some reason, the aisle numbers were my favorite part. It was like a grocery store for plants. I didn't feel overwhelmed or lost when I walked around. I would take that over an "inspirational," park-like setting anyday.

And Breezewood did lean a little more toward a natural setting, which is definitely nice to walk through. But if you're new to scene and you're not even sure what you're looking for, then good luck. You better grab the nearest sales person.


My question is, how come garden centers don't put signs on every inch of their property? Are park-like settings really helping your sales? You have busy days, and sometimes you don't have enough experts to help everyone at the same time. For those unfortunate few who happen to slip through the cracks, wouldn't it be better for them to walk around a place with tons of visible information, instead of walking aimlessly around a place with a few signs here and there? I think the same can even be said for any inexperienced employees you may have.

1 comment:

melissa_ebt said...

Hey, well I can say that in my store the signage is the "weakest link"! I have several comments about why this is. First, I tend to move stuff, alot. It makes displays look fresh. Sooo, I thought about making signs that can be moved. Yeah, with 80 mph winds, permanent signs aren't necessarily permanent. Second, it's fairly hard finding sings at a reasonable price that don't have to be replaced every year. Sun, heat, weather, etc....I chose galvanized tin, but never could get the holder stout enough. Then, I had vinyl lettering affixed, which only last about 2 years. I am a small, but well stocked garden center.....I've struggled with this for, um, about 15 years....am now looking at a company to make the signs through my co-op (I recently joined). Still having trouble making decisions about the new "terminology". I understand its all about "solutions" and "inspiration", which really doesnt give to many directions out! I think we all need direction, I love reading the publications when they feature great signage ideas....this is my year! I will do better.
Melissa McCoy @ Every Bloomin Thing
Susanville, CA